Social Media Statistics Australia – October 2013
Another month has flown by and it is time to post our social media report showing the most popular social networks in Australia over the October 2013 period.
You can view our report for last month – September 2013, if you wish.
We have been posting these monthly stat updates since January 2011 – well before the social media industry in Australia really experienced significant growth and attention.
What trends are we noticing in Australia? – over 2013 we have noticed a ‘settling down’ of the social media space in Australia. Users are finding their preferred networks (with the most users) and we see smaller social networks gradually lose some of their user-base over time. New social networks are launching, many offering only a mobile experience – such as Snapchat. The service is so minimalistic users don’t even enter what country they reside in – which makes finding the Australian audience particularly difficult.
October 2013 Stats:
(Please note all stats represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to the site over October – except for Facebook which is the number of active monthly users as reported by Facebook themselves).
1. Facebook – 12,800,000 users according to Ad tool, 12,000,000 monthly Australian users (according to Facebook figures).
2. YouTube – 11,800,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,100,000
4. Tumblr – 4,100,000
5. LinkedIn – 3,500,000
6. Blogspot – 3,100,000
7. Twitter - 2,500,000 Active Australian Users (see new calculation below)
8. Instagram - 1,600,000 Active Australian Users (see new calculation below)
9. TripAdvisor – 850,000
10. Flickr – 820,000
11. Pinterest – 490,000
12. Yelp – 220,000
13. MySpace – 210,000
14. Reddit – 150,000
15. Google Plus – approx 75,000 monthly active Australian users (my estimation *revised*)
16. StumbleUpon – 70,000
17. Foursquare – 43,000
18. Digg – 31,000
19. Delicious – 24,000
Twitter Users in Australia – recalculation
With Twitter’s upcoming IPO they have told investors their service now has 230 million monthly users. Compare this with Facebook, who has 1.19 Billion monthly users. Of Facebook’s total, 12.8 million are Australian users or approx 1.07% of the total Facebook population.
1.07% of Twitter’s 230 million global users = approx 2,500,000 monthly Australian Twitter users.
Instagram Users in Australia – recalculation
Instagram recently told us they now have 150,000,000 monthly users. If we use the Facebook formulae of approx 1.07% being the Australian audience we have approx 1,600,000 monthly Australian Instagram users.
Key Points to Note:
- Facebook is continuing to see minor growth in Australia, and continued growth around the world with almost 1.2 Billion monthly users.
- The large blog networks of WordPress and Tumblr continue to see strong use from Australian users.
- Mobile networks such as Twitter and Instagram continue to grow their presence in Australia.
Like our monthly stats? Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn.
If there are any other social networks you would like to us include, please let us know.