Social Media Statistics Australia – January 2017
Over the summer months in Australia we generally see an uptick in social media activity as people take time off work and school to enjoy the summer holidays.
Selfies at the beach, photos with family and friends and getting outdoors gives us plenty of reason to post more content to social media sites.
It is also a time where new users sign up to social networking sites as a result of the increased activity by existing users.
Facebook has also since an increase, now up to 16 million active Australian users. The questions is how many more can they get?
Social Media Statistics Australia - January 2017
1. Facebook – 16,000,000 users (up 1 million since last update)
2. YouTube – 14,800,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,150,000
4. Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
5. Snapchat – 4,000,000 DAILY Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
6. Tumblr – 4,000,000
7. LinkedIn – 3,600,000
8. WhatsApp – 3,100,000 Active Australian Users (30% increase since 2015)
9. Twitter – 2,800,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
10. TripAdvisor – 2,800,000
11. Tinder – 2,000,000 Australian users (my estimation)
12. Blogspot- 1,700,000
13. Yelp – 1,550,000
14. Flickr – 500,000
15. Pinterest – 280,000
16. Reddit – 100,000
17. MySpace – 80,000
18. Google Plus – 60,000 monthly active Australian users approx (my estimation *revised*)
19. StumbleUpon – 39,000
20. Foursquare/Swarm – 11,000
21. Digg – 10,000
22. Periscope – 9,000
23. Delicious – 8,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Australian Facebook Users As A Percentage Of The Total Population
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics Population Clock there are approximately 24.3 million Australians.
Facebook’s recent data shows there are now 16 million active Australians on Facebook.
Therefore approximately 65.8% of the total Australian population is an active Facebook user. This is a huge number.
Penetration of the Australian Population
- 6 in 10 Australians use Facebook, almost 7 in 10 Australians
- 1 in 2 Australians use YouTube
- 1 in 5 Australians use Instagram
- 1 in 6 Australians use Snapchat
Key Points to Note:
- 65.8% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook.
- 1 in 6 Australians are a Daily User on Snapchat.
- Over the year we have seen both Instagram and Snapchat grow their Australian user base considerably.
- Twitter has experienced stagnant user growth over the past 2 years and has a considerable churn rate of new users signing up but then never using the service.
- TripAdvisor has seen a slight increase over the month as the summer period entices people to holiday and travel.
Contribute data – Do you have any of your own research from your work or social media agency than can help us with our Australian stats? Feel free to contact us and share your information.
Latest statistics – every month we post a new report with the latest statistics in Australia, view our archive to find the most up to date information.
Want to source our stats/ copy and paste them onto your website? Our work is licensed under Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0.
You are welcome to copy and paste our data, just include the following text and links at the start or end of your article: