How to Make Money Online as a Freelancer – and Hire Quality Remote Talent
Although freelancers have been around for some time, using the internet to get more business is a quick, efficient and productive way for freelancers to expand their reach, client base and earn more money. The availability of remote talent has also helped businesses all around the world hire workers often at a far more affordable rate – and also allowing them to hire the right person which may not be available locally. Firstly we will address the key question:
What is a Freelancer?
A Freelancer is an individual that is self employed and instead of just working for one particular employer, works for a number of employers on smaller specific task based projects. In essence the freelancer is selling their time and expertise to the employer for a specific project .
The benefit of being a freelancer is often you can do all the work remotely from your home. This means you can be located anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
What sort of Industries hire Freelancers?
These days you can find freelancers in almost every industry. Some of the most common areas of work for online freelancers include:
- Website Design and Programming
- Graphic Design
- Data Entry
- Testing and Quality Assurance
- Article Writing and Content Generation
- Social Media Marketing and Strategy
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Building Mobile Applications
- Video Editing and Production
- Lead Generation
- Online Marketing/ Advertising
- Engineering and Sciences
- Business Finances and Accounting
These are the most common areas of freelancer work – you will be able to find further freelancer work across almost every industry.
What are the benefits of being a Freelancer?
Being a freelancer and working for yourself has many benefits, such as:
1. You control your own work schedule – you decide on how many projects you would like to take depending on your spare time and availability.
2. You are able to work remotely from home – allowing you to avoid any commute to work and associated costs.
3. Create your own work hours – being a freelancer gives you more flexibility than a 9-5 type job. If you are the sort of person that prefers to stay up late and work then freelancing can give you a better work/life balance.
4. You control your pay rate – as a freelancer you can specify the rate in which you charge employers. If you have recently undertaken study or improved your skills – you can raise your rate accordingly.
5. Only do work you enjoy – another benefit is that you only have to work on projects that actually interest you. In a typical full time job your boss may come to you with a task you may not really want to do, or have the understanding to complete. As a freelancer you can decide which project you bid on and accept.
6. Establish your own client relationships – as a freelancer you can build a long lasting relationship with your customers. If you work for a larger company you are simply told what projects to work and often your client base will change. Also as a freelancer if you have a customer that is difficult then you can stop working for that client as the decision is ultimately yours to make.
7. Minimal Work Expenses - freelancing gives you the flexibility to work from home, or anywhere else remotely. This means you don’t need to commute to work, rent an office, hire staff and have other general office expenses.
8. Learn to manage your Finances – being self employed will show you the key fundamentals of running your own business – managing your finances and setting a budget every month for your income earned.
9. Hourly Based Projects – many freelancer projects pay you on an hourly basis. Depending on the industry you work in the hourly rate can be very high.
10. Skill Development – as a freelancer you will probably work on a range of clients across different industries. This will give you exposure to new areas of business you may not have worked in before – and ultimately boost your profile and credentials.
How do you start becoming a Freelancer?
If you want to become a freelancer you may find the following steps useful to get started.
1. Understand your skills and experience – work out what exactly you are going to be selling to clients. What is your work specialty that you can charge money for?
2. Research the market – looking at how much other freelancers who do the same work as you get paid. Also look at how much work they are able to get and how consistent the income is.
3. Undertake an Example Project – before you undertake paid work, complete an example project to give you practice in the freelancer environment. Maybe you have a friend or family member that needs help with a project. Do a job for free to test your freelancing skills.
4. Setup your Home Office – you will probably do all your work from home. Make sure you have a decent computer with a good internet connection. Make sure you have an other home office supplies you need like good light and a quiet environment with no interruptions.
Where do Freelancers find work online?
The number 1 website on the internet for Freelancers to find work and Employers find quality talent is Freelancer.com.
Freelancer.com is the largest outsourcing website in the world and has thousands of projects currently listed and open for bidding.
Freelancer.com currently has over 3 million unique members from over 240 countries around the world – over 1.7 million projects have been completed.
Freelancer.com has created a new Online Industry (and Social Good)
One of the great things about Freelancer.com is that the website allows entrepreneurs around the world to connect with talent abroad on almost any country. Often you can hire workers in developing countries – this is great for the local economy in that particular region as you are injecting revenue into their local community.
For example if you pay a freelancer in Kenya $100 USD for a 1 month project this is a great wage in that country and you are probably helping someone and their family enjoy a better life. Freelancer.com is much more than just a business tool, it has changed peoples’ lives.
Using Freelancer to Outsource and Find Top Quality Talent
As global business becomes more competitive and companies around the world struggle to find top quality talent locally – they can look to Freelancer.com to help find a professional to complete their project.
What should you look for in a Freelancer?
When you are looking to hire a Freelancer for your project, take into account the following considerations:
1. Make sure you describe your project in as much detail as possible. This will make sure any freelancer who bids on your project fully understands your project requirements and spec.
2. Check the feedback and ratings from bidders. When you start receiving bids on your project – check the freelancers profile. You will be able to see their ratings, projects they have completed and projects they are currently working on.
3. Ask for a sample of work. If you hire a freelancer for content writing or building a new website – ask them for a sample of work they have previously done. Most freelancers will be more than happy to show you some past work (subject to confidentiality) so you can gauge the quality of previous projects completed.
4. It’s a good idea to set agreed milestones. This means you split up your project into stages and pay the freelancer when they reach certain levels of work. Eg when they complete half the project you pay them 50% of the project fee. When the freelancer finishes the project you pay the remaining 50% fee.
How to ensure a smooth project with your Freelancer:
1. Make sure you have an open dialogue with the freelancer you have hired. Give them a step by step outline of how you would like the project completed.
2. Set agreed timescales and milestones so the project is completed in time.
3. Show your appreciation to the freelancer and complement them on a job well done. If the freelancer makes a mistake – politely ask them to correct it.
Case Study 1 – Hiring an Article Writer
In this video I explain how I hired an article writer on Freelancer.com to complete an article writing project.
Case Study 2 – Hiring a Software Developer
In this video I explain how I hired a Software Developer on Freelancer.com to complete a technical coding project.
By using Freelancer.com I was able to hire expert freelancers in their respective fields. In my case one of the freelancers was based in Kenya and the other in the Philippines.
In Australia my article writing project would have cost $300 AUD if I hired a local person. On Freelancer.com I was able to get the project completed for $30 USD.
With the software development project in Australia this would have cost me around $2000 AUD to hire a local software developer. On Freelancer.com I was able to get the project completed for $190 USD.
The benefit I saw from using Freelancer.com for my projects:
1. I was able to complete the projects at an affordable cost.
2. I was able to hire an expert in the specific field I was looking for.
3. The projects were completed very quickly as the freelancers were ready to start work straight away.
4. If I need to complete similar projects in the future I know good freelancers to hire and can invite them to bid on my projects.
As you can see from this article there are many benefits of becoming a freelancer or outsourcing your projects – so why not take the first step and signup to Freelancer.com as either a freelancer or employer.
My username on Freelancer.com is: davec85